Microsemi Corporation, a provider of semiconductor solutions differentiated by power, security, reliability and performance, announced an ANSI/VITA 42.3-2014-compliant PCI Express interface XMC form factor serial advanced technology attachment (SATA) solid state drive (SSD) for industrial and defense applications where ultimate security for data-at-rest is required. As part of Microsemi’s TRRUST-Stor® best-in-class self-encrypting drive (SED) technology offerings, the XMC offers powerful key management methods. In the most advanced method, no encryption key is stored in the SSD, leaving data forensically unrecoverable.
Typical embedded systems utilizing secure SSDs require a bolt on external chassis for the drives, adding weight and size to the device. Microsemi solves the problem by offering an XMC form factor that plugs directly into the host card and eliminates the need for an external enclosure. In addition, the advanced TRRUST-Stor family of secure SSDs includes advanced security features such as hardware-based AES256 encryption and advanced key management systems.
“Microsemi’s legacy of providing the most secure data protection now extends into the card level XMC format, delivering the highest levels of security and reliability for demanding embedded applications in the industrial and defense markets,” said Bill Sorrentino, senior tactical marketing manager for Microsemi’s memory and storage business. “This solution is ideal for a variety of embedded size, weight and power (SWaP)-constrained applications requiring large amounts of secure storage.”
The XMC SSD has a layered security protocol allowing a hardware or software command to erase the encryption key in less than 30 milliseconds (ms) and erase full flash storage media in less than 10 seconds with no trace of recoverable data.
“Microsemi continues to grow its family of products providing innovative solutions that solve security demands for embedded applications in industrial and defense markets. With the emergence of cyber security concerns, Microsemi is committed to provide solutions that support our customers’ data-at-rest requirements,” said Charlie Leader, vice president and general manager for Microsemi’s Power and Microelectronics Group (PMG). “We will continue our commitment to providing the highest levels of performance while meeting the most stringent security requirements.”
Key features include:
- XMC x2 PCIe interface per ANSI/VITA 42.3-2014
- XMC SATA interface (configurable)
- Capacity: 256GB and 512GB reliable SLC NAND flash
- Up to 185 megabyte (MB)/second read/write speed
- Key management: multiple modes, including customer supplied keys
- Hardware-based AES-256 XTS encryption
- TRRUST-Purge™ clears encryption key in less than 30ms
- Hardware based fast erase, erasing the entire drive in less than 10 seconds with validation
- Industrial temperature range
- Leading-edge fast sanitization speed
- Military sanitization methods/protocols
- U.S.-made with full configuration control
- Abrupt power interruption protection
- Mean time between failures (MTBF): 2.5 million hours
- Continuously running built-in self-test