The world’s highest capacity microSD card carries 1.5 terabytes (TB) – designed with the world’s first 176-layer 3D NAND, is pioneered by Micron. The new i400 microSD is designed to deliver industrial-grade video security. Micron has received the first International Organization of Standardization (ISO) 26262 Automotive Safety Integrity Level (ASIL) D certification of memory for its low-power double data rate 5 (LPDDR5) DRAM, which is based on its first-to-market 1-alpha process node. With next-generation Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) applications requiring mounting levels of autonomy and safety, this certification validates Micron’s LPDDR5 as meeting the strict functional safety standards required, in addition to paving the way for innovations that will unleash full autonomy in intelligent vehicles. To better deliver its high-performance, ruggedized solutions to the market, Micron is also adding partners to its Industrial Quotient (IQ) partner program.
Unlike consumer-grade memory and storage which can malfunction in industrial environments and result in critical data loss or disrupted operations, Micron’s i400 and automotive LPDDR5 are uniquely tailored to deliver the longevity and reliability needed to speed innovation and extract greater business value at the edge. As the world’s highest capacity microSD card, Micron’s i400 is ideally suited for video storage at the edge and hybrid VSaaS deployments. The substantial 1.5TB density can store up to four months or 120 days of video security media locally, enabling users to optimize what data is stored in the cloud. The high capacity reduces the need to continuously upload data to the cloud for primary storage – which guzzles network bandwidth and operational expenses.3 Small businesses looking to reduce expensive bandwidth or remote sites such as cargo ships or oil rigs with limited connectivity, can instead periodically upload data to the cloud for backup while relying day-to-day on i400 storage at the edge. Bringing primary storage to the edge enables real-time AI analytics and faster decision-making within smart cameras. This speed is especially crucial for critical law enforcement, public health or safety decisions.
Unlike most cards on the market which are consumer-grade and have limited write capability, the i400 is designed for the video security environment with features such as:
· Five years of high-quality continuous 24×7 recording
· Ability to concurrently handle 4K video recording and up to eight AI events per second, such as object detection and classification like license plate or facial recognition
· Two million hours for mean time to failure
Micron’s automotive LPDDR5 memory is now certified by exida, a renowned expert in automotive safety, for the most stringent risk classification level, ASIL D, under ISO 26262. LPDDR5’s high performance, power efficiency and low latency also provide the headroom to keep pace with rising bandwidth requirements of next-generation automotive systems. Now in mass production in 48- and 96-gigabit densities, Micron’s LPDDR5 offers:
· Proprietary on-chip safety features including capabilities to detect and alert the system of random hardware faults so the vehicle can intelligently react and respond
· Up to 50% increase in data access speeds, enabling near-instantaneous decision-making from intelligent vehicles’ multiple sensors and inputs, such as radar, lidar, hi-resolution imaging, 5G networking and optical image recognition5
· Over 30% improvement in power efficiency, minimizing power consumption for electric and conventional vehicles, resulting in greener, longer-range transportation with lower emissions6
While ISO does not require memory to be ASIL-compliant, recognizing the criticality of memory to safety applications, Micron has gone the extra mile to achieve this certification and architect its propriety on-chip safety features. These one-of-a-kind capabilities significantly reduce the burden for automakers who would otherwise need to build in mechanisms to mitigate risk – thereby simplifying system design and accelerating time-to-market.
Micron Technology, Inc., 8000 South Federal Way, Boise, ID 83707-0006, www.micron.com/solutions/automotive/functional-safety-for-automotive