Digi International announced the expansion of its successful ConnectCore family of products with the introduction of the Digi ConnectCore 8M Nano System on Module (SOM).
Digi International was selected by NXP as an Early Access Partner for NXP’s latest i.MX 8M Nano applications processor featuring scalable, power-efficient Arm Cortex-A53 and Cortex-M7 cores with advanced connectivity and multimedia capabilities used in the Digi ConnectCore 8M Nano SOM.
This highly integrated, cost-effective SOM platform features pre-certified wireless connectivity, an integrated device security framework, remote management, cloud integration and a complete Linux software platform based on Yocto Project. Digi ConnectCore simplifies embedded product development, enabling product manufacturers to focus on their core competency and get to market 12 to 18 months faster with 50 percent lower development cost and lower risk than discrete designs.
Digi ConnectCore 8M Nano strikes an optimal balance of performance, power, and cost, making it suitable for a wide range of industrial and medical products and applications including Internet of Things (IoT), human-machine interface (HMI), equipment monitoring, audio/voice, edge computing and machine learning (e.g. anomaly detection).
Unique Digi features include:
- Digi Embedded Yocto – an open-source, production-ready Linux distribution with fully tested and maintained BSPs and APIX software extensions for security, power management and wireless connectivity
- Pre-certified wireless connectivity (dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5 and Gigabit Ethernet)
- Digi TrustFence – an integrated, tested and complete device security framework that simplifies building secure connected products
- Digi Microcontroller Assist (MCA) – an on-board subsystem that assists with advanced power management, security, peripheral support and system reliability operations
- Digi SMTplus – a compact, low-profile, mounting technology that eliminates board-to-board connector cost and improves performance, reliability and physical security
- Digi Remote Manager (DRM) – cloud-based device management capabilities including policy-based firmware updates, configuration management and device health monitoring
- Digi XBee software integration – enables a broad range of wireless connectivity options with Digi’s family of pre-certified modules including short-range (802.15.4 / Zigbee), long-range (868/900 MHz) and cellular (LTE Cat-1, LTE-M, NB-IoT)
This newest addition to the ConnectCore i.MX family enhances an already robust SOM portfolio, offering product developers more choice and enabling organizations to standardize on a common platform to address wide ranging product requirements.
Initial Digi ConnectCore 8M Nano development kits and software will be available through global distribution partners in February 2020.