Digi International announced the launch of several new cellular routers and extenders, each designed to meet the present and future connectivity needs of organizations in the transportation and enterprise marketplaces: the Digi TX54 and Digi TX64 mark the launch of its TX line of transportation and intelligent traffic system routers, while the Digi EX12 cellular extender joins the Digi EX15 in supporting indoor, enterprise use cases, particularly in signage, retail, and foodservice markets.
Digi now has routers that include 5Ge/Gigabit LTE (Cat 18) radios, Band 71 and CBRS connectivity, 5G readiness, and are FirstNet Ready.
Digi has created its new cellular connectivity offerings to match the shifting needs of the IoT marketplace and revamped their features to align with customer needs: whether TX for transportation, IX for industrial, or EX for enterprise, Digi has the right routers for the market’s needs. On supported Digi devices, additional flexibility is available with the Digi CORE plug-in module: no need to replace the whole unit, just swap the Digi CORE to the LTE standard needed.
While designed for different applications, Digi’s new TX54, TX64, and EX12 are built on a strong foundation that is shared by the rest of Digi’s routers, including:
- Digi Accelerated Linux (DAL), Digi’s secure operating system for the most demanding business-critical and mission-critical applications. This release adds multicasting, expands routing protocols, and – critical for transportation applications – offers dual APN capabilities and supports dynamic DNS updates.
- Edge Compute, as each new router comes with Python built-in, allowing users to add intelligence on the device – from simple scripts to full-fledged IoT applications.
- Digi Remote Manager for centralized device deployment, monitoring, and control. With Digi Remote Manager, organizations can easily automate firmware, software and configuration updates of all units in the field – for complete asset tracking and compliance, including security protection. Also available as an Android or iPhone mobile app.
- Digi TrustFence, the built-in security framework, protects internal and external I/O ports to prevent unwanted local intrusion. Digi TrustFence also provides data authentication and device identity management options. Digi TrustFence utilizes the latest encryption protocols for data in motion and over-the-air (OTA) transmissions to ensure the integrity of data flowing across a network.
Designed for transportation, intelligent traffic system (ITS), and public safety applications, the Digi TX54 and Digi TX64 are built to make smart cities a reality. In traffic systems, these routers lay the connectivity groundwork needed for traffic monitoring and optimization for connected and even self-driving car capabilities in the future. Dual cellular and dual Wi-Fi makes them ideal for on-transit-vehicle connectivity by both eliminating network downtime with immediate cellular failover and providing simultaneous, firewalled passenger and administrator connectivity to meet the demands of modern riders without jeopardizing the transit organization’s operations.
Additionally, the Digi TX64 with its dual Gigabit LTE (Cat 18) radios is ready for 5G as part of AT&T’s 5G rollout.
Essentially, it is an Industrial computer with a Quad-core 1.9 GHz processor, with added routing capabilities. This creates new capabilities outside that of a traditional router for local file streaming and storage, to facilitate applications such as onsite camera monitoring, emergency response kits, and Wi-Fi for on-board transit applications
Both the Digi TX54 and TX64 are available now.
Digi International announced the expansion of its successful ConnectCore family of products with the introduction of the Digi ConnectCore 8M Nano System on Module (SOM).
Digi International was selected by NXP as an Early Access Partner for NXP’s latest i.MX 8M Nano applications processor featuring scalable, power-efficient Arm Cortex-A53 and Cortex-M7 cores with advanced connectivity and multimedia capabilities used in the Digi ConnectCore 8M Nano SOM.
This highly integrated, cost-effective SOM platform features pre-certified wireless connectivity, an integrated device security framework, remote management, cloud integration and a complete Linux software platform based on Yocto Project. Digi ConnectCore simplifies embedded product development, enabling product manufacturers to focus on their core competency and get to market 12 to 18 months faster with 50 percent lower development cost and lower risk than discrete designs.
Digi ConnectCore 8M Nano strikes an optimal balance of performance, power, and cost, making it suitable for a wide range of industrial and medical products and applications including Internet of Things (IoT), human-machine interface (HMI), equipment monitoring, audio/voice, edge computing and machine learning (e.g. anomaly detection).
Unique Digi features include:
- Digi Embedded Yocto – an open-source, production-ready Linux distribution with fully tested and maintained BSPs and APIX software extensions for security, power management and wireless connectivity
- Pre-certified wireless connectivity (dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5 and Gigabit Ethernet)
- Digi TrustFence – an integrated, tested and complete device security framework that simplifies building secure connected products
- Digi Microcontroller Assist (MCA) – an on-board subsystem that assists with advanced power management, security, peripheral support and system reliability operations
- Digi SMTplus – a compact, low-profile, mounting technology that eliminates board-to-board connector cost and improves performance, reliability and physical security
- Digi Remote Manager (DRM) – cloud-based device management capabilities including policy-based firmware updates, configuration management and device health monitoring
- Digi XBee software integration – enables a broad range of wireless connectivity options with Digi’s family of pre-certified modules including short-range (802.15.4 / Zigbee), long-range (868/900 MHz) and cellular (LTE Cat-1, LTE-M, NB-IoT)
This newest addition to the ConnectCore i.MX family enhances an already robust SOM portfolio, offering product developers more choice and enabling organizations to standardize on a common platform to address wide ranging product requirements.
Initial Digi ConnectCore 8M Nano development kits and software will be available through global distribution partners in February 2020.
Digi International announced the full availability of the Digi ConnectCore 8X development kit. The Digi ConnectCore 8X is a powerful, secure and cost-effective off-the-shelf single board computer (SBC) with support for Linux and Android, as a connected system solution concept for device manufacturers building edge-intelligent products.
The Digi ConnectCore 8X offers cloud and edge-compute services integration while reducing time-to-market by eliminating traditional risk, effort, and complexity of custom board designs without sacrificing flexibility or capabilities. Other key features include:
- Industrial i.MX 8X quad-core SOM and SBC platform family
- Compact form factor integrates an on-board dual-band antenna option, USB connectivity, Digi XBee RF connector and cellular connectivity options
- Multi-display/camera and audio support
- External storage and expansion connectors
- Power management with both hardware and software support for low-power designs
- Built-in Digi TrustFence security framework featuring secure boot, encrypted filesystems, and protected ports
The Digi ConnectCore 8X development kit is now available for evaluation and testing. The kit includes ConnectCore 8X SBC Pro w/dual-Ethernet, console port cable, power supply, and 2 dual-band antennas.
Digi International announced the availability of the Digi AnywhereUSB Plus products. Offered with two, eight, or 24 USB 3.1 Gen 1 connectors to enable USB device connectivity from local, remote or virtualized hosts, these network-attached remote USB hubs connect USB peripheral devices to a PC over an IP or, with a cellular module, LTE network. The AnywhereUSB Plus modular approach to cellular support means devices are 5G ready today. Key applications include kiosks, logistics tracking, restaurant kitchens, manufacturing lines, and software license key fob management.
USB solutions continue to proliferate and replace serial and older proprietary connections as a cost-effective and efficient option for enterprise and industrial customers. Often, however, users lack sufficient USB ports on host computers for all their devices, need devices to be distributed over greater distances, or wish to avoid the cost of hardened computers. Whether connecting a point-of-sale ordering system to fulfillment, managing and tracking software license dongles via USB key fob, or uploading/downloading data and firmware to physical devices, users are increasingly relying on USB connections for critical applications.
These applications require secure connectivity, higher speed connections and port densities, and the flexibility to allow different systems to connect to USB devices without having to physically connect, disconnect, or move equipment around. Digi addresses these needs with USB 3.1 support and Gigabit and higher network speeds in industrial/rack-mountable form factors. The eight- and 24- port versions provide hardware support for future deployment of Digi’s suite of CORE Plug-In LTE modems.
Digi AnywhereUSB Plus products feature built-in Digi TrustFence security framework and Digi Remote Manager (DRM), a comprehensive IoT device management application. Later this year, in addition to USB 3.1 port connectivity, all eight- and 24- port models will be software upgradeable to support Digi’s CORE LTE Cellular modules. Also, at a later date, Digi will be introducing SKUs that add Wi-Fi connectivity. Enterprise and industrial customers that need remote or local USB in the kitchen, on the factory floor, and anywhere in between, can count on the reliability, security and device management capabilities of Digi in two-, eight-, or 24-port packages.
Digi International announced the availability of Digi Foundations, which combines hardware, software applications, services and support in a comprehensive IoT-in-a-box package that simplifies and speeds the process of creating connected digital ecosystems, especially those with mission-critical applications.
As wireless data technologies spread throughout every industry, organizations seek to extend connected solutions to multiple sites in order to manage key assets, track inventory and deployments, and ensure compliance and security. Until now, they have been forced to manage multiple providers with disparate hardware, software, data, asset connectivity and infrastructure solutions.
Addressing these challenges by providing a complete solution, Digi Foundations touches every element of IoT deployment, including management and analytics. Beginning with the physical hardware, Digi Foundations builds upon edge intelligence. Digi’s offerings place bi-directional data and computation where it makes the most sense – at the sensor, gateway, business centre, cloud, or in any combination – while also providing access to data from intelligent edge devices previously beyond reach.
Digi Foundations also includes Digi Remote Manager (DRM), a central, secure management application, which allows users to manage these devices and the networks their data traverse. DRM allows users to configure, control and maintain their IoT ecosystems by providing a real-time view of network and device health, sending notifications when an alert is triggered, and diagnosing and potentially repairing remote devices without the need to deploy a technician. Additionally, with DRM’s Cloud Connectors and open APIs, users can integrate the data they gather with analytics tools to gain even deeper insights into performance.
In addition to being included in the purchase of the recently launched Digi IX14 – an ultra-reliable, secure industrial LTE router ideally suited for utility, Smart City and kiosk applications – and the WR54 – an extremely reliable, secure, high-performance wireless router for complex mobile and industrial environments – customers purchasing from the existing portfolio of Digi routers will have the option to add the Digi Foundations subscription to their purchases. The add-on subscription combines DRM, 24×7 Digi Expert Support, a Limited Lifetime Warranty, and access to essential Cloud Connector and Edge Compute software libraries to provide customers with the level of support needed to successfully manage their IoT endeavours.
Digi International has answered the call for advanced IoT management with Digi Remote Manager (DRM), a secure platform to monitor and control distributed IoT devices. DRM provides network operators, engineers and administrators all the capabilities necessary to monitor, upgrade and control connected hardware for IoT solutions running on LTE cellular networks, while also providing the freedom and flexibility to integrate with additional network management and productivity tools.
DRM recently added a comprehensive set of connectivity tools, networking features, analytics and edge computing capabilities, which allows IoT solutions managers to quickly and easily determine the operating status and location of all their remote digital assets. It also provides compelling value in the form of secure IoT networking for enterprise network managers and service providers who need to incorporate security and networking best practices into a single IoT management solution.
DRM standard features include:
- In-band and out-of-band command and control of managed devices
- Over the Air (OTA) updates of firmware, configurations and edge computing software for managed devices
- Visibility and control over edge network devices (ZigBee and other RF devices)
- Bi-directional access and control of devices and edge compute application logic
- Automated software and configuration assignment during device installation
- Periodic scanning, alerting and remediation of devices that fail compliance checks
- Advanced enterprise routing + carrier, WAN and LAN analytics
- Advanced VPN and tunneling + remote LAN device management
- Edge computing capability utilizing Python
In addition to these standard features, DRM includes Application Connectors that allow users to easily connect devices to their cloud platforms of choice for quicker implementation and more choice. With preconfigured APIs, users can quickly and easily access, connect and analyze data collected from their edge devices to improve business processes, accelerate decision-making, and react to an ever-changing business environment.
Digi International plans to unveil more Application Connectors in the coming months, providing a high degree of flexibility and allowing users to integrate with the specific tools needed for their business without being forced to adopt limiting proprietary solutions.
The DRM Mobile app brings further functionality to the offering. In addition to on-the-go, hand-held monitoring, users can register a device using a QR Code with the app including the MAC Address or Device ID as well as an install code or default password. Once a device is registered into a customer account, custom configurations can be automatically downloaded using the profile management feature, further simplifying deployment and configuration.
Silicon Labs delivers ultra-low-power, long-range wireless connectivity to battery-powered IoT devices with a new LTE-M expansion kit featuring Digi International’s Digi XBee3 pre-certified cellular modem. The LTE-M expansion kit works with Silicon Labs’ EFM32 Giant Gecko 11 starter kit and simplifies and accelerates the development of gateways and end devices that operate in deep-sleep mode and require extended battery life. The solution is ideal for agricultural, asset tracking, smart energy and smart city IoT applications.
“Together, Silicon Labs and Digi International are dedicated to connecting people, networks and ‘things’ with best-in-class IoT and M2M technologies,” said Matt Johnson, Senior Vice President and General Manager of IoT products at Silicon Labs. “We’ve collaborated with Digi to deliver flexible LTE-M cellular connectivity capabilities, enabling cloud-connected applications that are remote, on the go and ready to deploy.”
“The jointly developed LTE-M expansion kit works with Silicon Labs’ starter kits to accelerate development by quickly enabling cellular IoT connectivity and avoiding costly cellular device certifications,” said Mark Tekippe, Director of Product Management, Digi International. “Digi XBee3 cellular modems and Silicon Labs Gecko MCUs are an ideal pairing to deliver seamless cloud connectivity with ultra-low power capabilities. The pre-certified Digi XBee3 cellular modem is easy to configure and provides secure, flexible out-of-box connectivity over LTE-M and NB-IoT networks.”
Developers can take advantage of the LTE-M expansion kit’s advanced development tools including the Digi Remote Manager®, Silicon Labs’ Energy Profiler and pre-programmed demos to rapidly deliver optimized LTE-M products. Digi XBee3 modems certified on AT&T and Verizon cellular networks, combined with energy-friendly EFM32 microcontrollers (MCUs), provide developers with a mobile IoT development toolkit to deliver advanced, low-power wide-area network (LPWAN) connectivity.
- FCC certified and carrier end-device certified Digi XBee3 LTE-M modem
- Ready-to-use kit development tools and demos with Giant Gecko 11 MCU starter kit
- Common Digi XBee® family for easy migration to NB-IoT
- Digi XBee API frames, MicroPython and XCTU® software tools to simplify development
- Digi TrustFence® integrated device security, identity and data privacy
- Digi Remote Manager® for over-the-air device configuration and firmware updates
- MCU host examples easily migrated from Giant Gecko 11 to other Silicon Labs low-power EFM32 MCUs and EFR32 Wireless Gecko SoCs and modules
Silicon Labs’ LTE-M expansion kit and EFM32 Giant Gecko 11 starter kit (SLSTK3701A) are available now, and both are priced at $99 (USD MSRP). The SLSTK3701A kit provides an excellent starting point to get familiar with Giant Gecko MCUs. To learn more about the LTE-M expansion kit and Giant Gecko starter kit, visit silabs.com/lte-m.
Digi International today announced the immediate availability of the Digi XBee3 Cellular LTE-M development kits, featuring Digi’s next-generation smart cellular modem.
This LTE-M certification, to be followed by the certification of Digi XBee3 Cellular NB-IoT in October 2018, allows Digi to bring one of the first LPWAN, software-defined technology-agile modems capable of offering Cat-M or NB-IoT on a single, compact footprint. Designed to be customer-configurable, developers can easily standardize and futureproof their IoT designs by simply changing modems and SIMs to leverage different wireless protocols without having to redesign hardware for different regions or applications.
Ushering in a much more simplified way of testing designs and incorporating cellular connectivity into wireless solutions, the new Digi XBee3 Cellular LTE-M smart modem is integrated into the development kit via a 20-pin Digi XBee socket, ultimately allowing for solution connectivity via millions of sockets already deployed around the globe. The module can also be easily configured and controlled from a centralized platform such as the Digi Remote Manager.
Digi International is an AWS Advanced Technology Partner in the AWS Partner Network (APN), and the Digi XBee3 Cellular LTE-M is a smart cellular modem supported by AWS IoT Core. With built-in Digi TrustFence security, the module’s identity and data privacy features use more than 175 controls to protect against new and evolving cyber threats. It also provides the tools to secure connected devices, including data in motion with TLS 1.2 encryption and bi-directional authentication – required for AWS IoT connectivity.
Digi XBee3 Cellular LTE-M Smart Modem Capabilities
- FCC certified and carrier end-device certified
- Integrated MicroPython programmability
- Up to 180 days of free cellular service with development kits*
- Excellent coverage and building penetration
- Low power consumption optimized for long battery life
- Direct USB provides easy PPP integration option
- Enhanced with Digi TrustFence security framework
- Manage and configure with XCTU and Digi Remote Manager
- Digi XBee Transparent and API modes simplify design
- Reduced hardware complexity with only one antenna required
Development Kit Availability
The Digi XBee3 Cellular LTE-M smart modem development kit is now available for evaluation and testing. The kit includes one Digi XBee3 Cellular LTE-M embedded modem, one XBee3 development board, one active SIM, up to six months of free cellular service*, antennas and power supply, and Digi’s full library of documentation and examples.
Click the link below for a tutorial on connecting Digi XBee3 Cellular LTE-M to AWS IoT using MQTT and TLS 1.2 encryption. Everything needed is included in the development kit.
Digi International a leading global provider of machine-to-machine (M2M) and Internet of Things (IoT) connectivity products and services, today unveiled the innovative features and capabilities powering the newest Digi XBee Cellular modems.
Digi will be introducing three new variants to its lineup: Digi XBee Cellular gen 2 modem designed for the AT&T Cat 1 cellular network, Digi XBee Cellular LTE–M, and Digi XBee Cellular NB–IoT. These latest Digi XBee Cellular modems will include the following significant upgrades/features:
- Programmability – Local intelligence programmed on the modem itself. Rules engines and application logic can transform data, control local I/O, connect to Bluetooth sensors, actively manage utilization of the cellular link and optimize cellular data plans.
- Full USB Support – Supports wide range of applications, from basic to more complex LINUX-based applications/systems; direct USB communication for apps with native control requirements.
- Bluetooth Ready – Bluetooth Low Energy (BTL) and Bluetooth Mesh connectivity. Allows simple and quick local setup, provisioning, and troubleshooting capabilities using modern mobile phones and tablets.
- Advanced Manageability Features – Support robust OTA firmware upgrades, Digi’s easy-to-use RF management and configuration tool Digi XCTU, and remote management through Digi Remote Manager™.
- Security – Hardened with built-in Digi TrustFence™ device security.
These three new variants strengthen the already existing, robust Digi XBee product line, including the Digi XBee Cellular 3G and Digi XBee Cellular Cat 1 for Verizon, making the platform capable of meeting all wireless needs – from cellular, to ZigBee, to Wi-Fi protocols. It offers device manufacturers unmatched integration flexibility and the ability to standardize on one module platform and single hardware footprint across products, applications, and cellular networks for everything from relatively simple local applications to complex, globally deployed solutions.
“Fully pre-certified across key carriers, our next-generation Digi XBee Cellular smart modems deliver a platform offering complete design freedom for cellular IoT connectivity integration from LTE Cat 1 all the way to LTE-M and NB-IoT LPWAN technology,” said Senior Director Product Management, Embedded Systems at Digi International, Mike Rohrmoser. “The Digi XBee platform has been built on over a decade of wireless expertise. This creates an entirely new class of connected smart end nodes based on the one and only proven Digi XBee platform.”